Tuesday 31 March 2009

Comment - Swearing

http://www.talktonic.blogspot.com/

Hi Nic,
I enjoyed your posting on bad language. It seems to have become the social norm to swear. Swearing is rife on TV programmes, and everyone seems to be doing it. I had to laugh at one irate mother who I overheard complaining about her foul mouthed toddler ‘I can’t understand why the little bugger keeps fucking swearing!’ What does she expect!
I have no problem with people using the odd word if they are really angry or upset about something. Unfortunately a lot of people swear instead of having a proper conversation. It saddens me to hear people speak in this limited way. The English language is a complex, beautiful thing, and it is a shame that it is being supplanted by a limited selection of linguistic borrowings originally imported by sailors from Low Dutch.

No comments: