Friday 15 January 2010

Bookshop news


Do you like bookshops?

I suspect most of you reading this blog are CPW students and love reading and buying books.
Well, Waterstones did not do too well with its Christmas sales figures and has sacked the boss.
The plan is for Waterstones to revert to its roots as a ‘local’ bookshop.
Hooray!!!!
It will be selling fewer celebrity titles and tailor the store’s content to the needs of the local community in which each store is based - like it was in the 1980s when Tim Waterstone stared his enterprise.

I am sick of the focus on shallow celebrity culture just because it is profitable. Publishers have been concentrating on celebs, and have not been prepared to back many first-time writers.
I hope they keep their in-store Costa coffee outlets - browsing in Waterstones with the smell of ground coffee is bliss.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jameshall/100003012/waterstones-returns-to-roots/


Thought for the day from Sue’s rip-off calendar

‘Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups’




2 comments:

Ewarwoowar said...

Hoorah!

I hate Waterstones - they've rejected my job application twice (two different stores) and their books are ridiculously over-priced compared to t'internet. I sometimes go into the Telford branch to browse, but never to buy.

Sue's Blog said...

When I go to Birmingham clothes shopping, I always end up browsing and drinking coffee in their New Street station shop instead.
Perhaps it will be third time lucky with your job applications.