Thursday 16 July 2009

University job cuts


Worrying figures published today reveal that there are going to be substantial job losses in higher education. It is estimated that around 6,000 jobs are to go, with 403 job losses in the West Midlands.

This is disgusting.

I remember Tony Bliar getting into number 10 on the back of the mantra ‘Education, education, education’
Well, it seems to me that the government think it is all right to bail out banks, and send people off to be slaughtered in wars, but when it comes to paying for all of this, then it is soft targets like universities and students that are being made to suffer.

Why?

‘Education, education, education’ was something the government promised, raising our hopes of a better future. Now they are reneging on their promises. So where do we go from here?

5 comments:

The Plashing Vole said...

I'd treat that figure as a starting point - more news to come, closer to home. I can't discuss details as it's not been announced yet, but I'm confident that I'll be selling the Big Issue by Christmas

Sue's Blog said...

I sincerely hope you will not be selling the Big Issue.
Is there anything that students can do to help?
I'm very angry that education and other key institutions ( it will be the NHS next) are being made to pay for the greed and corruption caused by others.

Ewarwoowar said...

Oh Voley, seriously? That's dreadful news.

Sue, I'm not sure students can do a damn thing, to be honest. A sad state of affairs.

Dan said...

Protest!

Sue's Blog said...

I agree, we do seem powerless, and yes we should protest.

Is the NUS doing anything about this??

If not, I guess we could always chain ourselves to the railings,sign petitions, and continue to write about it in our blogs.

Any other suggestions??